
Contributing journalist: Kellie Krick Oborn
Well here we are almost to August already and I’m nowhere near where I should be with my orals paper much less my prospectus. aahhh the best laid plans. In June I drafted a blog describing how our summer was off to a great start but I never finished or posted it….aahhhh summer ☺
The boys and Raina are having a great summer at home with Tamara (our nanny) and I. The boys love being home for the summer. They keep busy hunting for spiders and kickin around in the yard and neighborhood. I remember the carefree feeling of summer as a kid and and am so thankful that our boys can have a summer like that, free from some of the rigidity that comes with organized summer care options. That said, in addition to just hangin, they spend time each day reading, practicing math, and writing in their journals; they are both working hard to keep their skills sharp so they are ready to start at their new school in the fall!
My mom has been generous enough to watch Raina two days a week so I can work on various projects and writing tasks. Between my workdays I do my best to stay in ‘summer at home with the kids’ mode. Some of the highlights include a day at the Children’s Museum with Tricia and the kids, play dates with Julian (Kyertin’s good friend from Aquila), swimming lessons, taking walks with Ascher and Raina, playing in our new science lab, running in the sprinkler, swimming at the beach, hanging out at Nana and Papa’s (Bonnie and Steve's) pool, and climbing on the new swing-set that Nana Bonnie/Papa Steve helped us buy and Daddy is still building (its halfway there!). Thank you Nana and Papa and Daddy!

We have also been very busy tending to our vegetable garden. You can see in our summer pics album how amazingly big it has gotten. We are learning a lot, mostly how we grossly over-planted but it has been so much fun to watch everything take off. So far the boys have picked (and eaten!) zucchini, cucumbers, beans, peas and mixed greens. We are anxiously awaiting tomatoes (and lots of them), squash, pumpkins, and peppers. Stay tuned …and let us know if you want any zucchini or tomatoes!
Shane surprised me on my birthday with a day out. We went out for lunch to Psycho Suzi's, followed by golfing at Theodore Worth (beautiful course)! He had made plans for dinner and a concert but unfortunately he got sick early in the evening so we opted for renting a movie and curling up on the couch which was perfect after-all! I took a rain-check on the dinner/concert.
Another highlight for me was taking my god-daughter, Janna, to the Justin Bieber concert. I surprised her with VERY good tickets - we were only 20 feet or so away from him. It was a wonderful experience seeing her excitement....priceless.

Our weekends have been booked solid from May through July. We have been out for two long weekend camping trips, one of which was with the entire Oborn clan – GOOD TIMES! Steve and Bon showed up with a beautiful camper that came in handy in the rain and the heat, especially with an 11 month old. For Father’s Day the Oborns rented a pontoon on Lake Minnetonka; also a great time!


We are also thrilled to share that two of our closest friends welcomed their first born into the world this summer. Tryg Edward Robert was born on June 21st to our good friends Mindy and Erik Molin. Xander Hugh was close behind, born on July 1st to dear friends Kristen and Hugh Wegwerth. Both babies, mommies, and families are doing great! Congratulations to everyone!
Grandma Vicki hosted a Krick/Murphy reunion earlier in July as well as a reunion with the Tix and Banazewski families (childhood friends). We are looking forward to our upcoming Krick Cabin week, which is in August this year.

Well I guess a quick ‘highlight’ blog is better than nothing. Please see the link below for more pictures.
Click here to see the Summer Pics album.
Happy summer everyone!
Kellie
No comments:
Post a Comment